University of Mississippi Health Advocates Application
The University of Mississippi Health Advocates work in conjunction with the Office of Health Promotion to create a presence on campus that links the community with the message of positive decision-making, and empowers the students to make a difference on campus through social, educational and outreach initiatives.
Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Director for Health Promotion and the Health Educator the peer health educators will…
- Assist the Health Educator and AD in developing and implementing educational and social programs geared towards education of wellness, alcohol and other drug issues.
- Facilitate wellness workshops with various University offices, including Residence Life, Campus Activities, Athletics, Counseling Center, among many more
- Be well versed on wellness topics including: alcohol and other drug use/abuse, nicotine use, healthy relationships (communication, abstinence, verbal/physical abuse, rape), and personal health (body image, eating disorders).
- Serve as a University role model and advocate for responsible and healthy lifestyle choices.
- Must be a full-time University of Mississippi undergraduate student in good academic standing (GPA of 2.5 or higher).
- Must be a role model for responsible and healthy lifestyle choices and enthusiastic about educating peers on wellness issues.
- Must possess strong verbal skills and the desire to present information to peers.
- Must demonstrate the ability to work with individuals and groups in a leadership capacity.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attend all mandatory trainings and meetings.
- Attend Certified Peer Health Educator Training (tentatively for Spring)
- Attend the Peer Education Training Day (TBA)
- Assist fellow Peer Educators in the creation of programs and workshops that educate the University of Mississippi community about AOD and wellness issues as they relate to college students.
- Assist the Assistant Director and Health Educator along with fellow Peer Educators in the facilitation of educational and social AOD and wellness programs and events.
- All other duties as assigned by the Assistant Director and Health Educator
**Remember, this is a voluntary organization. Yet, involves time and dedication to be effective**
If interested, please complete and return to T. Davis in the Student Health Center room 225.